The start of Korbin’s gauntlets (4″ PVC pipe). Russell worked with the grinder to cut out these gauntlets with a pair for himself and for Korbin.
I used this tutorial (see above) as a way to make this kind of gauntlet. David Weimert used a thicker schedule PVC pipe and had to use more heat to shape his gauntlets. The gauntlets made in this post are not nearly as good as the ones in the video, but it is a good start.
The next step Korbin made was to attach the gauntlets together with glue and then start figuring out good greeblies to attach. At the same time he was working on his modified DL-44. The gaunt greeblies ended up being everything from the barrel of a airsoft gun to a flashlight from Harbor Freight to windshield wiper parts.
When you coat it all with paint the parts and pieces (greeblies) blend into a pretty cool looking weapons system on a pair of gauntlets. This layer is what I call a metallic primer coat. I use a metallic colour for the one purpose of weathering. Whenever you knock or drop or accidentally hit something your equipment will get natural weathering. The metallic undercoat works to show “metal” underneath your paint.
After the paint had dried, I did a test fit before I left for church on Sunday. One of the gauntlets was a little difficult for me to get on over my wrist, but Korbin has smaller wrist than me so it won’t be as difficult. I did learn that he will probably need to put his gloves on after he puts his gauntlets on.
Prep work done to cover the metal gun parts and pieces. Painted his base red coat on. Now they sort of look like fire extinguishers. That back area is going to need some more red, my paint can froze on me in the nozzle area, so may get acrylic touch-ups at this point. Oh, the joys of painting in December, North Dakota winters. I had to spray them on a board outside and then bring them in to dry properly.
The gauntlets were painted with acrylic paint and will need to be repainted with a spray paint this spring/summer when the paint will cure correctly outside.